Thread: The Longest Post On Filmwurld

Threaded View

THE 2010s

It's the end of a decade; a time when different groups and publications poll people involved in film culture and production about the films they consider best or favorite of the decade as a whole or even the current 20 years of this millennium. It's a time to take stock on what matters most and which are the films that amount to the greatest current achievements in cinema. I am also interested in the biographical aspect of considering the films that made the most difference in the lives of people. In my case, it is easy to keep track of the films that had the most significance by updating and revising my list of favorite/best of all times that I published as the opening post about 15 years ago. You can see the 20 or 25 films released since 2010 that I've listed and have a clear idea what has made the biggest impact. Another interesting aspect of thinking about the decade that ends is how my viewing process and my decisions about what to watch have evolved. One change is that I watch less films than I used to, but the ones I like a lot I watch more often. I explore this compulsion to re-watch certain films; what that says about each film and what that says about me (and what maters to me).

It's important to take stock from time to time of the essential elements of the medium and what the medium does best and which are the stories that matter most to tell at this time in human civilization. I look forward to ht lists that will be coming out soon, and the thoughts that provoke the choices made by different individuals as to the best of the decade in audiovisual art. One thing about this century that poses problems is that in the past 20 years or so, some of the best cinema may be produced for televisual broadcast or for streaming exhibitions rather than theatrical exhibition. (How many watched MUDBOUND in a cinema , for example? How many have failed to watch it because the never heard about it?)

2010. GREENBERG (Baumbach/USA)
    ------MYSTERIES OF LISBON (Ruiz/Portugal)
    ------NOSTALGIA FOR THE LIGHT (Guzman/Chile)
    ------THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA (Oliveira/Portugal)
    2011. A SEPARATION (Farhadi/Iran)
    ------THE ARBOR (Clio Barnard/UK)
    ------THE TREE OF LIFE (Malick/USA)
    ------THE TURIN HORSE (Tarr/Hungary)
    2012-HERE AND THERE (Mendez Esparza/Mexico)
    2013-PARADISE:LOVE/FAITH/HOPE (Seidl/Austria)
    2014-GOODBYE TO LANGUAGE (Godard/France-Switzerland)
    -----MR. TURNER (Leigh/UK)
    2015-BROOKLYN (John Crowley/Ireland)
    -----45 YEARS (Haigh/UK)
    -----HEART OF A DOG (Anderson/USA)
    -----SON OF SAUL (Nemes/Poland)
    2016-THE DEATH OF LOUIS XIV (Serra/Spain)
    -----PATERSON (Jarmusch/USA)
    2017- THE BIG SICK (Showalter/USA)
    -----MUDBOUND (Rees/USA)
    2018- THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND (Welles/Kodar/USA)
    ----- ZAMA (Martel/Argentina)
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 11-09-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I accidentally omitted Tarr's THE TURIN HORSE.