Thread: The Longest Post On Filmwurld

Hybrid View

I also watched (and liked) Mad Men. I also liked Jane Campion's TV series Top of the Lake and a few other things. Teaching four cinema courses per semester means I watch more old films than recent releases although I manage to watch enough new films to have a sense of what's going on. Actually, I could put out a list of 20 or so 2015 releases that I like a lot. As far as films that fit into this thread, special films that fascinate me and compel me to re-watch, the last recent ones I include on the list are Seidl's Paradise trilogy and Godard's Goodbye to Language.I also added the film I've been showing to teach "noir", Tourneur's Out of the Pastwhich came out in 1947.It gives me such pleasure to show the Bluray in a theater. Nicholas Musuraca was in charge of the shadowy, silvery cinematography my students can't help but admire.

http://www.chrisknipp.com/links/doon.jpg

"Mad Men" was and is a must-see. You already mentioned Goodbye to Language I saw it in the 2014 NYFf and reviewed it then. Technically it got a 2014 US theatrical release (29 October 2014 (New York City, New York). Have not seen nor heard of Campion's "Top of the Lake." but am looking now at Emily Nussbaum's what looks like brilliant piece about it, it's "meditative beauty," in The New Yorker. If you're interested, just click. Obviously we should watch "Luck," "House of Cards," and "Breaking Bad," among others. I skipped "Breaking Bad" because I loved the silly but super-entertaining "Weeds" and didn't want to see a down-at-the-mouth treatment of the same premise.

As for the joy of showing films to students, I used to get some films shown (regular film films in the auditorium) at Dwinelle Hall I guess it was at UC Berkeley when I was teaching Comparative Literature there. I showed Nicole Williamson's Hamlet I remember and Kubrick's Lolita. Did my best to drum up general interest in attendance of the films because they were expensive to rent and show. Fun to do that I know. Easier now but I prefer film nonetheless. Just saw They Will Have to Kill Us First and cannot get info (as I could not on the camera/lens used for Kaili Blues), but feel it might be Super16mm film like Ed Lachman used for Carol, Far from Heaven and the "Mildred Pierce" miniseries. . Such intense color. Obviously digital is a cold look. Lachman has spoken a lot about his process with Haynes, see this Variety article.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 03-06-2016 at 12:37 PM.

The difference is that I re-watched Goodbye to Language since my last post and I decided to include it based on how lasting its pleasures and how it continues to elicit new associations with older films, Godard's and not Godard's.I don't know of any other recent film that is so addicting to watch; the way I play a music album when I wake up for several days.
    Have you posted a 2015 list?

Mine has the titles you'd expect, that everybody likes, you know, Carol and Son of Saul, and movies by fave directors Weerasethakul, Tsai Ming Liang, Hou, Alonso. The two movies I loved that were not near the top of those annual polls are Ex Machina and The New Girlfriend. Those are the kind of smart, thoughtful, and entertaining films I like to show my "beginners", my cinema appreciation students.
    Thanks for the Lachman piece. I am a fan.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 03-07-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Glad you like Lachman.
    I have made a list of possible 2015 bests. You will find it if you look. It's a long thread. I have never gotten around to narrowing it down. I may yet. Or not. Carol and Son of Saul are at the top of mine though. I am not aware that Tsai had a new film out here last year. Or Alonso. Anyway is saw Jauja in 2014 but I guess it did get a theatrical release of sorts in the US in 2015. As usual with you, I wholeheartedly agree on some of your choices. I am not an auteurist -- except for my very few pet filmmakers :-)

I am going to re-watch Jauja tomorrow with a friend. Let's see how it holds up.

I taught the Czech New Wave today.I have 4 films from this movement on my fave list and I just rewatched them:
    THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET (Kadar)
    CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS (Menzel)
    MARKETA LAZAROVA (Vlacil)
    THE JOKE (Jires)
    As much as I admire Marketa Lazarova, I must admit I got tired about an hour into it and was not compelled to keep watching. This is a must-see film by all means but I find it occasionally plodding or ponderous and films on this list are not supposed to feel like that to me.

I'm watching Mississippi Grind soon, from the directors of my beloved Half Nelson.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw "Oscar Jubis has replied to your post..." in my email box. I thought you died.

And speaking of the dead, since Lori and I moved to Greensboro, I feel as if I've fallen further off the cultural map (although they have a local cinema that shows movies on CURVED screens, which is very retro and very cool to see). Glad you are alive and teaching and going to the cinema. I read Chris about once a week or so to see what's on the horizon for the coming year, as he has his pulse on what's current and what's recommended.

I post mostly on Facebook with other old timers. We talk about movies between 1930 to 1970 period - very nostalgic. The last movie I saw was "Brooklyn" (any good) as part of our - try to see as many nominees before the Oscars marathon. Lately, we did go to trash like "London has Fallen" and "Allegiant" but they aren't worth writing about and posting a review. As least the theaters are good (BIG screens, great sound systems, comfortable seating). They're all digital. No 70mm anamorphic here.

Lori asked me if I wanted to see a movie in Chicago (in two weeks). I told her, "No way!" I'd rather go to Eataly, take our granddaughter to Shedd and Legoland. The movies will have to wait. Take care.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Quote Originally Posted by cinemabon View Post
    You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw "Oscar Jubis has replied to your post..." in my email box. I thought you died.
    I didn't die but I was well on my way after 4 decades of smoking. I quit 10 months ago and I participate in a smoking cessation forum. I feel better. I manage an art cinema and I probably watch no more new movies than you do (lol). I did finally manage to make a list this year of titles I liked. I am very busy now because I'm teaching four courses so I'm paying attention to the (old) movies I teach, but usually catch up with new releases in May and June. I will watch Brooklyn then and I'll tell you if I liked it. It's incredibly that we've been posting in this forum for a dozen years!