Thread: A little history report I did on The Seven Samurai

Hybrid View

To preface, I think it's great you're pushing a 50 year-old, b&w subtitled film. Keep 'em coming, Tree!

Originally posted by HorseradishTree
    I'd love feedback on it.
    You asked for it.

arguably the most influential filmmaker of past and present

Smart of you to use the qualifier "arguably". A lot has been written about K's influence on American commercial cinema (specifically Star Wars), but watching his films what strikes me is how much he was influenced by Ford and Eisenstein. I would argue that several filmmakers such as Godard, Mizoguchi, Kubrick and Resnais have had more of an influence on the medium than Kurosawa. Incidentally, I propose that Kenji Mizoguchi will eventually be recognized in the West as Japan's greatest director.

His films have set standards for several varied genres and concepts including action, surrealism, and drama.

Kurosawa and Surrealism don't seem to go together. Enlighten me.

His true masterpiece, Shichinin no Samurai (The Seven Samurai)

Kurosawa directed several masterpieces (including 7 Samurai). I prefer Rashomon and Ikiru. Both had a greater emotional impact on me than The Seven Samurai. Moreover, the messages inherent in these films seem to me more resonant in our present circumstances than the values expressed in Seven Samurai. Of course, this is a very personal opinion.

While the farmers are gracious, it is interesting to investigate their deep-down positions with each the samurai, and vice-versa, which happen to potentially be the mannerisms felt toward each other in real times past.

Your writing is very good but this sentence needs some work.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 05-04-2004 at 12:48 AM.