I've been collecting import dvds for a few years. I'd like to have a forum to discuss the discs available outside Region 1 (North America), and perhaps be available for consumer advice if you're interested. Many of these releases are perfectly playable in your common region-coded player that I hope you already own. Some may only play in your PC or require a "world player", which basically accepts any disc, even European PAL-format discs. The price of these beauties is now competitive. Why is this a big deal? Well, because there are tons of great films never released here, at least not on video, which are available elsewhere, at affordable prices.
I'm not only talking about obscure foreign movies (Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight is only available in ...Spain). I start the column by highlighting two American films that for political reasons have yet to be released in North America. There are quality dvd releases of these films available on Ebay.

KEN PARK
The whole planet has seen this fierce film, directed by Larry Clark (Kids) and co-written by Harmony Korine. The disc for "all-regions" is preferable over the Region 3 disc from Hong Kong (unless nudity bothers you and you own a "world player")

PROZAC NATION
Miramax's Harvey's been sitting on this adaptation of Elizabeth Wurtzel's novel since its Toronto 2001 premiere. Producer/star Christina Ricci is mighty pissed. Every dvd-head wants one of these so they command a high price, at the time.