Thread: What's Happened to Science Fiction?

What's Happened to Science Fiction?

What's happened to Science Fiction? Starting with the post World War II generation until the early 1980's, Science Fiction writing flourished in this country. Writers like Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Ursula LeGuin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Arthur C. Clark, and many many others wrote like they were possessed, spewing out tons of material that would fill an entire floor of a library. This wasn't schlock stuff, this was really good writing, largely ignored because of the label. Now we're about to get "I,Robot", (originally a collection of short stories) and from the previews I've seen, it looks more like the same old shit we've been shoveled since "Star Wars" shoved everything else aside. Asimov wrote "The Foundation" trilogy for Chrissakes! A far more impressive work than "I, Robot"! And what about Niven's "Ringworld" series? Granted, Herbert's work finally made it, albiet butchered a bit. LeGuin's "The Dispossessed" or "The Left Hand of Darkness" would have made a far better film than "The Mists of Avalon".

If Hollywood is crying out for great material, all they have to do is read the stuff already written!
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Wow, sounds really similar to a post I made a while back. Yeah, I, Robot looks depressingly Hollywood.

What happened to Asimov's true visions? Will these ever come to the screen in their true forms?

By the way, didn't Foundation have more than just a trilogy?
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

You are correct, my friend. Asimov ended up writing more sequels... Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth, Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation. Whew! The first three being the original trilogy about Hari Seldon or whatever the hell his name was (I read them so long ago, I probably need to read them again!)

Piers Anthony was another favorite of mine. His "adept" series would make incredible films; or the Incarnations of Immortality, like "On a Pale Horse"... I especially liked the analogy of death waiting at the side of the tub as the young atheist bleed to death in suicide. When Death tried to collect his soul, it disintegrated in Death's hands. Evidently, belief was a requirement to keep the soul intact. He was also responsible for the "Xanth" series of books, starting with "A Spell for Chameleon".

Ursula LeGuin's "The Dispossessed" is perhaps one of the greatest science fiction works of all time, next to "The Dragon Riders of Pern" by Anne McCaffrey; "Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner; "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny; "A Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke; "Nine Princes in Amber" by Zelazny; "The Book of Skulls" by Robert Silverberg ( a screenplay just by itself!); "The Sword of Shannara" by Terry Brooks; "The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis; "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine d'Engle; "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury; did you "grok" all that?

Wow! Piers Anthony just happens to be my favorite author!

I think Xanth could reach success, if they just made the original trilogy (A Spell for Chameleon, The Source of Magic, and Castle Roogna.

Yeah, and the Apprentice Adept series certainly would be kicking, except there sure is a lot of nudity throughout the whole picture, so it wouldn't be that easy of a sell.

My favorite of his happens to be Battle Circle. I think those three stories could traslate into some fantastic pictures.

It's a shame none of this guy's stuff is used at all.

Piers is a great visualist... the nudity might be possible if photographed a certain way (ie, objects placed in front, shooting waist up, etc.). Actually, I was thinking of his Incantations of Immortality. That whole series is outstanding material that lends itself to a visual medium like film; and with CGI, anything is possible these days... with enough money, of course.

What other Sci-fi authors do you like?

Yeah, IOI would be truly great films. Death, time, and many other mysterious concepts are explained in an original and intriguing manner. If those were films, I'd be watching them every week.

I am so infuriated that Heinlein's Starship Troopers was utterly soiled and ruin by Paul Verhoeven. The movie was a joke, and throughout the whole flick, it just seemed to be mocking the ideas in the book.

Speaking of Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land: This would be fantastic as a film.

Oh, my God!!!!!!!! I was wracking my brain trying to think of that book. Yes, the book that took my generation by storm, "Stranger in a Strange Land"! And how appropriate would that be now with "Passion" being touted everywhere. I adore Heinlein, one of the all time great classic Sci-fi authors. Now who would you suggest direct? Speilberg? Jackson? or a Scorsese? There are plenty of new directors, too. Like this guy who just did "Harry Potter..."

Unfortunately, I am moving (to Raleigh) and will not be able to post for a long time. Remember me! But as Arnie says, "I'll be back!"

Well, sorry. But if you ever get to read this, here it is.

I think Kubrick would have done a great job on it. Since he is unfortunately unable to do this, I'd say Ozon could make it interesting.

Good luck on your travels!

I'm logging on at my daughter's house on our way to Raleigh. Great choice. Didn't he just do "Harry Potter?" or is my slip showing.

Originally posted by cinemabon
    I'm logging on at my daughter's house on our way to Raleigh. Great choice. Didn't he just do "Harry Potter?" or is my slip showing.
    Heh, no. You're thinking of Alfonso Cuaron, of Y Tu Mama También fame, who just did Azkaban (which, by the way, was 1000 times better than the first two films). Ozon did last years memorable Swimming Pool with Charlotte Rampling.

Did you catch the job Raimi did with Spiderman? He took a film not meant to be anything other than schlock and turned it into a classic. I mean this was pretty good! I was... dare I say it, amazed. Too late.

Number 2 took Spidey and thrust him beyond our solar system. The film is fantastic and amazing. It just continues my love for my favorite director (Raimi) and even manages to add a nice bit part for one of my favorite actors (Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell). Hail to the king, baby...

Thanks to the cast and crew of SM2 for staying true the comics just enough and managing to make the flick your own. Well done.