Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metropolis sets the tone for 20th C scifi

I think we'll go ahead with the Kubrick forum starting this weekend. If it looks like there is enough interest (Im sure there will be) we can run it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Im thinking that we'd have forums for :
    2001: Space Odyssey
    Clockwork Orange
    Full Metal Jacket
    Shining
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Barry Lyndon

And one for "general" Kubrick discourse and for his other films. Does that seem about right to you all? Suggestions would be great! Looking forward to it.
    P

Originally posted by pmw
    Im thinking that we'd have forums for :
    2001: Space Odyssey
    Clockwork Orange
    Full Metal Jacket
    Shining
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Barry Lyndon

What you suggest is fine. It does leave out two of the best films (in my opinion) DR. STRANGELOVE & PATHS OF GLORY, but they would be included in the general forum. Or, you might have fewer forums by pairing them:

THE KILLING, PATHS OF GLORY, & LOLITA
    CLOCKWORK ORANGE & 2001
    DR. STRANGELOVE & FULL METAL JACKET
    SPARTACUS & BARRY LYNDON
    EYES WIDE SHUT & Spielberg’s A.I.
    General Forum

Spielberg says that A.I. was originally a Kubrick project.

Whoops, didnt mean to omit Dr. Strangelove or Paths of Glory....hmmm....any reason for those particular pairings?
    Thanks,
    P

Re: Kubrick Forum

Reasoning: The first three are earlier works. CLOCKWORK ORANGE & 2001 are futuristic. DR. STRANGELOVE & FULL METAL JACKET have military themes. SPARTACUS & BARRY LYNDON are historical (but not much else in common). EYES WIDE SHUT & Spielberg’s A.I. were completed after his death.

I’m sure whatever forums you decide to set up will be fine.

maxwellsmith Guest
    Great! That should make for some good discussion.

ADMIN NOTE: Moved Kubrick, Spielberg, AI discussion to General Film Forum. Did this to keep this forum for Metropolis and to make the other discussion available to other users who wouldnt see it in this forum. Thanks.

Click Here For AI, Kubrick, Spielberg Thread

P

METROPOLIS on DVD

This restored version of METROPOLIS never came to my part of the country. However, I note that it will be released on DVD on February 18th by Kino. This release will be digital and will include much more footage than ever before released in any video format. There will be a “Making of…” documentary as well as one on the restoration process, and it will have audio commentary tracks in four languages. The Kino METROPOLIS website is at:

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/

That site includes several Quicktime video clips as well as the trailer. Advance orders are available at reduced prices from most DVD sources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12