Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cinema Study V: Pier Paolo Pasolini

Cinema Study V: Pier Paolo Pasolini

Born in Bologna Italy March 5, 1922
    Murdered in Idroscalo Italy November 1, 1975

Pasolini is a film outsider if there ever was one.

He grew up in a "decent" home with his military father Carlo (a fascist, actually) and his caring mother Susanna.

By age 7 he was writing poems. (His mother taught him how).
    By age 14 he was familiar with Shakespeare (he loved Macbeth-smart kid) and discovered the poetry of Rimbaud.
    He became extremely passionate about literature and he painted, drew pictures, had all kinds of creative ideas. He was incredibly intelligent, and he often suggested to his friends that they should read Dostoevsky and watch John Ford films. (I know, I didn't believe it either when I read about it). He was a "leader" from the get-go.

Flash-forward to the University of Bologna, where he's part of the "Arts and Letters" faculty. He hated the professors with their "rhetoric", and found relief from the tedium of schooling by playing sports such as soccer and basketball. Along with 3 buddies (Francesco Leonetti, Roberto Roversi and Luciano Serra) he founded the magazine Eredi (Heirs), an attempt at immortality as poets.

Yes, Pasolini had a life immersed in activity and art. Art which included many disciplines (including sex, which I'll get to later).

His first published written work came in July 1942 (age 20!) as Poesie a Casara, a book that was labelled "narcissistic" and "scandalous", a word which would haunt him until his dying day. (and even after!)

He called 1943 "one of the most beautiful of my life", even though he was drafted into the army. He lasted a week.
    In Pisa, his unit was caught by the Nazi's and were being deported back to Germany. As the men were marching to the trains for shipment, Pasolini and another guy jumped into a ditch, rifles at the ready, and fled. he travelled over 100 km on foot back home to Casara.

He was petrified with fear long after he escaped. "From then on my life was spent in hiding and being hunted".
    He resumed writing (poems, plays) and started exploring in earnest his rabid sexuality. He was a homosexual, lusting after many young boys: they are legion! he would moan, and spent a lot of time gettin' jiggy with it. (In secret, obviously, but he was caught with his pants down many times and the last was on the day of his murder...poor Paso and Murnau. whatawaytogo....)

1945 saw his younger brother Guido killed in hail of machine gun fire, by an unknown shooter. (The Slovenians were suspected). Guido wanted to stand for something like his artistic brother, and joined the Osoppo Partisan Division. Pasolini was devastated: "He was so much better than all the rest of us; I'm seized by such an unspeakable, unbearable anguish."

Pasolini's political stance then became very volatile. He joined a communist cell, became a noted leader in Fruili- a region that stood to be taken over by the Slavs, and he felt that autonomy was the only way to save it. "Leftist" autonomy, by the way.

1947-in Switzerland, he won an award for writing
    1948- he published "Amado Mio" a love story, probably inspired by the heavenly rendition of the song by Rita Hayworth in Gilda.
    1950- he is charged and convicted of lewd acts, but is absolved of all wrongdoing in 1952 for lack of evidence.
    The mid-50's saw the production of incredible poems, The Roman Poems, and they were collected in a beautiful edition of the same name just 2 years ago- buy it if you love poetry. Pasolini is a great poet.

I haven't even talked about the films yet!

Pasolini's life was very interesting (like a novel, in a way) and if you want all the information you can get on him, read Pasolini A Biography by his good friend Enzo Siciliano (1978-translated into english 1982). It's the bio pasolini himself would have liked, I think.

i'll end part 1 here....
    Last edited by Johann; 06-21-2004 at 01:16 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

part 2

I wrestled with how I'm gonna relay Paso's film career. So here goes:

Warning: prudes, homophobes, idiots, uncultureds, dumbasses and ignoramuses should avoid Pasolini's work.

Paso was a writer first and foremost. After Fellini made I, Vitelloni he met The Maestro and they got along great. So great, in fact, Fellini jump-started Paso's film career. He was tapped to write good "Roman" dialogue (slang slang) for Nights of Cabiria and La Dolce Vita. When Fellini began his *soon-to-be-defunct* studio FEDERIZ, he told Paso to "move from the desk to the camera" and green-lighted his script for Accatone.

Accatone (1961) is the story of Vittorio Accatone, a pimp in Rome. His prostitute Maddalena gets arrested and he has a series of encounters that force him to reconsider his life. Franco Citti is Accatone, an actor who was used by Paso a lot. (He still does the odd role- his last was in '99) The film is influenced heavily by Mizoguchi, Rossellini and Dreyer. Paso used The Passion of Joan of Arc as "a model of simplicity". It's a classic, must-see, and it's on DVD.

Mamma Roma (1962) is his first masterpiece. Black and white, boasting two KILLER sequences at night that give notice that Pasolini is a name to be remembered. The sequences are killer for the lighting, pacing and CAMERAWORK (dolly shots).
    I can't wait to see the Criterion version, the second Paso title to get the treatment. Mamma Ro is Anna Magnani, a buxom lass who's very easy on the eyes (to me at least). She's a whore, has a son, and she's on a life odyssey that is quite moving. People I know have cried when seeing it, so prepare accordingly...

Ro.Go.Pa.G. (1963) is a hodge-podge of film from 4 different directors. I'll stick to the Pasolini episode (La Ricotta).Orson Welles plays The Director (natch) and he reads poetry from Mamma Roma. That's all I'm gonna tell you. It's on Kino DVD and Pasolini's short is the best. (Godard, Rossellini and Ugo Gregoretti are the other directors).

La Rabbia (1963) is 53 mins, about Africa and I've never seen it. It's not available on video in any format, so we're out of luck.

Il Vangelo Secondo Matteo (The Gospel According to St. Matthew/1964) is a totally Italian take on Jesus. Enrique Irazoqui is the Saviour, albeit a tad on the Marxist side. He's intense as Jesus, and some folks have said he's the best Jesus ever put on film. I'm not qualified to say but yeah, why not? He's convincing enough for me. Paso only used half of the Gospel so it goes, and it's been attacked and defended by many parties since it's debut 40 years ago. Just see it. It's one of the films you must see if you consider yourself a film buff.

This post will be a little jagged- some films have not seen the light of day- I'll note them anyway.

La Mura di Sana (1964) 13 min. short not available

Comizi d'Amore (Love Meetings/1965) is a documentary of Paso and others talking about love, sex and others. It is available on DVD but I have not seen it.

Uccellaci e Uccellini (Hawks and Sparrows/1966) is Paso's first full-fledged comedy. It's the story of a father and a son (two innocents) who meet a crow on a road. They turn into monks (Brother Cicillo & Brother Ninetto) who meet St. Francois who in turn sends them out to preach-to hawks and sparrows! Bizarre. But very funny. It's available on DVD and if you love obscure, weird films then this one's for you.

Le Streghe (1967) is another short film compilation, but one I haven't seen. De Sica and Visconti do one so I hope it gets released sometime...

Edipo Re (Oedipus Rex/1967) is exactly what you think it is.
    Pasolini's version has all the details included in Sophocles' work.
    Shot in Morocco with stalwarts Mangano and Citti, it's awesome.
    I'm gonna see it again (along with his "Trilogy of Life") and post more comments later.

Teorema (Theorem/1968) is my favorite film from Pasolini. It's pure poetry. Terence Stamp is "The Mysterious Visitor", AKA God, a guy who seduces a whole family. It's got references to Rimbaud, it was shot in Milan, you see Stamp's cock.
    Very hard to "get into", tho- I relish films like this. It was received very poorly at Venice in '68, and it was ordered for confiscation by the public prosecutor's office in Rome. Why? "obscenity".You see Stamp's hammer, and that's just not kosher, baby!
    Oh those silly Romans....
    Only available on vhs.....

Porcile (Pigpen/1969) is a strange piece of work. Jean-Pierre Leaud (yes, the kid from 400 Blows) is in it and the film has scenes of sex with pigs, cannibalism and other odd little tidbits. The film is in two parts (one in modern Germany/one in 15th century Spain) and there are echoes of Oedipus in it: father gets killed... etc..
    It's on DVD, if you dare....

Medea is my second fave Pasolini. Siciliano describes it perfectly: the harsh, dark maternity of Medea, the open & elegant virility of Jason, the heedless youth who dances among friends under the bright walls, Medea who embodies pre-history- her culture is magic.
    The famous opera star Maria Callas is Medea, she was chosen for her prior experience in the role and the box-office potential of her name. She and paso were rumoured to be lovers during the making of the movie...
    It's available on DVD.

I'll end part 2 here...
    Last edited by Johann; 06-24-2004 at 01:57 PM.

part 3

After Medea Pasolini made two short films, Notes for a Film on India (1969) & Notes for a Romance (1970). Neither are available on video and neither have I seen.

The next three films in his filmography are called the Trilogy of Life:

Il Decameron (1971)
    The Canterbury Tales (1972)
    Arabian Nights (1974)

Siciliano says these films were "a light-hearted outlet for his desire to tell stories". They're grand, fairly esoteric attempts at the fairy-tale, fantasy extravaganzas. Pasolini himself has roles in Decameron (as Giotti) and Canterbury Tales (as Chaucer).
    Decameron is based on Boccacio's 9 tales but Paso strays a wee bit from the originals. Canterbury is a wild movie, probably not quite what Chaucer had in mind when he wrote it...Arabian Nights is full of life, eroticism and humour.
    I have seen them all on vhs but I wanna see them again to give more accurate, up to date comments. All are available on DVD.

Immediately after Arabian Nights Paso joined forces with Paolo Brunatto to make the 20 min. doc Pasolini e...la forma della citta, another film I haven't seen and another not available on video.

Next was another "Notes film"(1975): Notes for an African Orestia.
    It's a re-telling of the greek legend of Orestes. Black and white, with a narrator, 63 mins, and of course not available.

The coup de grace and most controversial film of his career (and possibly in all of film history), Salo o le 120 giornate di sodoma (Salo: 120 days of Sodom/1976) is a FAITHFUL adaptation of the Marquis de Sade's epic of decadence and contempt.

I haven't seen it in years but I still remember its' images quite well. What annoys me is the fact that the Criterion DVD has been discontinued and we don't have easy access to this important film. (Check eBay to see what the DVD is selling for these days).
    I say important because I agree with Gary Indiana who wrote the BFI Modern Classics book on this film. He says he loves and hates the film, pointing out that for all it's shock value Salo has a lot of black humour and opacity, which is important. I won't describe it- I'll let others do that. (Read Gary's book- it's as good an analysis of the movie as you'll get) It is visceral, powerful. You'll never forget it if you see it. Nudity, degradation, corporal punishment- I could go on and on. It has alienated & offended people for years, and will continue to do so for many to come. (It's still banned in some countries).
    Sade is still shocking people nearly 200 years on....
    The Criterion DVD is a collector's item.

At the trial of the 17 year old boy who murdered Pasolini the prosecution entered Salo as evidence that the director was asking to be killed. If he could make such a disgustingly shocking film, he probably deserved to get killed.

**WARNING: Gruesome description of a man's final hour**

On November 1st 1975 Pasolini was cruising Ostia's shores for boys in his Alfa Romeo. He picks up a kid and goes for a spin, telling him they "will do something". They have a little mutual oral sex, Paso stops by a fenced area in Idroscalo, where he breaks off a fence post and tells the boy to get out of the car. He starts acting weird, taking the fencepost and prodding the kid's rear with it, telling him to "get ready". The kid grabs the fencepost and starts hammering Paso in the head with it, "defending himself from this lunatic". We don't know exactly what happened after that, but Siciliano gives us a pretty good idea. The boy ends up getting in the drivers seat of the Alfa Romeo and running over Pasolini. (This is what ultimate killed him- the pressure from the cars' weight burst his heart).
    Pasolini was left in a bloody, crumpled heap as the boy sped off. He was caught shortly thereafter by police.
    Pasolini's body wasn't found until the next day and identified by people who knew him.

They say he prophesized his own death when he said:"I am in love with life, but when will it all end? I am scandalous....

As a film poet, Pasolini succeeds with flying colors. The trouble is no one wants to give him his due as a poetic filmmaker because his films were intimidating, shocking works. He made art that irritated people, made them uncomfortable, and people don't like to be out of their comfort zone.
    All I can say is be open to his films. He's not "easily digestible" or "mainstream". Not by a long shot. He's in the same league as Greenaway (if more crude), and I think he's one of the greats.

I'll end with this quote by him:

"I cease to be an original poet, It's price is a lack of freedom: a stylistic system is too exclusive. I adopt tested literary models, in order to be freer."

THANK YOU FOR REMINDING US OF PASOLINI

July 13, 2004.

I'm just getting around to reading these comments of yours, which are great. I didn't know about the early experiences and the war escape at all. I haven't read Enzo Siciliano's bio or if I did I only skimmed it. I do remember reading a lot about it when it came out. One thing I remember about his life is that he was taken to court after just about every movie he made. Every one was "offensive to morals," etc. And he went to court, and fought to have the movie allowed to be shown in Italy. They were never accepted in Italy, his movies. But they had an international audience, at least starting with Teorema, with its handsome English star, Terrence Stamp (who's recently had a comeback).

I recommend the little bilingual book of his "Roman Poems" in which the English versions are by Laurence Ferlenghetti published by City Lights Books in San Francisco. Illustrated with photos of Pasolini walking or sitting around outside with boys somewhere in the "periferie," the outskirts, of Rome. That's what he did when he first came to Rome, I believe; he taught school to poor kids in the nowhere outer neighborhoods of a Rome he grew to love with a passion. This edition of his poems came out not two years ago but in1986; I got it in '88, and I have often picked it up and read the poems since, savoring the Italian, which is not so easy for me (it's poetry, after all), but whose richness and sweet melancholy I nonetheless can appreciate; it amazes me how somebody so sad and lonely as Pasolini could have been so incredibly productive.

But then, something people don't seem to realize is that Italians are depressive people.

The writer Alberto Moravia was a great friend and admirer of Pasolini, and in his introduction to the Roman Poems he says that Pasolini "is the major Italian poet of the second half of the century."

Pasolini's novels, Una vita violenta and Ragazzi di vita, in Roman slang and kind of hard for a foreigner to read in Italian, are available in good English translations published in the Sixties.. Ragazzi di vita means "boy hustlers" or "Street hustlers, and as you know that's a topic Pasolini knew well. But his accounts are relatively chaste, due to the times. He'd have written different books today.

You fail to mention that people say Pasolini was assassinated for political reasons and the story obviously is just what the boy told, right? Some believe he was set up to do it.

You also seem to have failed to mention one of the central events of Pasolini's life: his expulsion from the Communist Party. InBologna he was a member of the party. When they discovered he was gay and guilty of "corrupting minors" he was expelled from the party in 1950 and that's when he fled to Rome where the publication of Ragazzi di vita brought him "notoriety" -- that's the word used about this moment on an Italian website.

He was a filmmaker above all but also before that -- and also during -- a screenwriter, a novelist, an essayist, and an artist; his drawings are good. He had something in common with Jean Genet who was attracted to the cops at the Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968; Pasolini wrote an essay where he said he preferred the forces of order to the revolutionaries in the Sixties, because the former came from the working class.

I've seen most of the films you have and not seen the ones you haven't. I think there are some of his films you missed mentioning and they may be found here: http://karaart.com/p.p.pasolini/filmography.html. That site also lists a lot that he wrote the script for before he made his own, including []b]Nights of Cabiria[/b]. My favorites are different from yours. I don't think Mamma Roma is that great but it has Anna Magnani in it: what more can I say? I like Uccellacci e uccellini, I love the humble minimalism Il vangelo secondo Matteo, which made a huge impression on me when I first saw it in the mid-Sixties and which looks even better in the wake of Mel's Grand Guignol Passion of the Christ, I also love the triumphant finale (for me) represented by his story collection series, not so much Canterbury Tales (which was spoiled here by first being released in an English dubbed version) as The Decameron, with its healthy embrace of sensuality and yough, and above all the exotic, beautiful, and homoerotic The Flowers of the 1001 Nights.

What makes the 1001 Nights work so well in Pasolini's marvellous version (of course all these are only short selections from much longer story collections) is that the originals are an amalgam of cultures -- Indian, Greek, Baghdad, Cairo -- and through the dubbing technique developed by the Neorealists Pasolini, like them, could use non-actors from various countries, combining cute Italian boys with men from North Africa and Nepal and all kinds of places. I think this mixture really captures the spirit of the oritinal Arabic tales as nothing else could.

Pasolini's frank sexuality also enables him to convey something of the ease with the body and sex that existed back at the time of the 1001 Nights and at various other times before our own post-Victorian or Catholic uptightness set in, and it runs through his treatment of the Canterbury Tales (Chaucer also of course himself was very bawdy) and the crude jokes of the Decameron aren't anything he is timid about.

I love Pasolini's eccentric and catholic sense of male beauty. Big dumb looking guys with half their teeth missing somehow become attractive and alive in his treatment, using real peasant types who couldn't memorize lines but could be dubbed. In this story collection series Pasolini took the neorealist techniques to a whole new place.

Lucky for him, Pasolini himself was a strikingly handsome man, and he appears in his own films, particularly as disciple of Giotto in The Decameron.

As for Salo, that takes you to a very dark and ugly place, but the film is certailnly remarkable -- or an abomination, depending on how you look at it. A disturbing picture of the banality of evil -- there's nothing sexy ultimately about its transgressions -- it shows how completely fearless Pasonini was, or by that point had become. He had been persecuted for everything he had done, so perhaps by then he felt he had nothing to lose. They'll screw me anyway, he must have thought; I might as well do something really provocative. As for the comment by authorities that the film showed he wanted to get killed: it might show that he wanted to die -- I find it intensely negative and pessimistic), but not that he wanted to be killed. However, this remark is a hint that in fact he was killed, by order, and not at all by accident. He infuriated the conservative element of Italian politicians, and conservative Catholics. What they were saying was: the man who made this film was asking to be assassinated.

Besides Franco Citti whom you mention another "boyfriend" and frequent appearer in his films is the irrepressible, cute but comic Ninetto Davoli. Citti is great at playing sensual degenerate types. Davoli is more the cocky curlyhaired would-be young macho guy who's really kind of a loveable dork, whose logical fate is to wind up being dumped down into a tub of shit. You love him and you pity him a little, whereas Citti gives you the creeps, yet you can see his dangerous and perverse sex appeal. Pasolini made wonderful use of these two and a few other regulars. They pop up again and again and they always seem familiar, yet different and right in each of their roles. Pasolini was brilliant at casting.

Pasolini is really amazing. Against all odds, he produced a cinematic oeuvre whose range has few peers.

Over 20 years ago, I watched every feature directed by Pasolini, with the exception of Mamma Roma, which was not available until 1995. I concluded then that, along with Teorema, it was my favorite of his films. I wish to examine his work with a fresh perspective though. Inspired by Johann's cinema study, I ordered 6 of his 60s films on dvd, and La Ricotta on vhs. The latter will be included on Mamma Roma's Criterion disc. (Along with a interview with Bernardo Bertolucci, who is credited as Assistant Director in Accatone.) The videos have arrived. Today I watched Accatone and the documentary Pier Paolo Pasolini: A Filmmaker's Life.

As part of an effort to understand his films, I'm interested in the type of biographical data provided by Johann, and more recently, Chris. No doubt Pasolini led a very interesting life, but I am most concerned with biography in the service of film analysis. Given my training in psychotherapy, it's not surprising that I give the most weight to what Pasolini said about himself, over what others, even his closest friends and collaborators, have said. If humans in general are complex and contradictory creatures, Pasolini is even more so. I will conclude the post with a few Pasolini quotes included in the doc mentioned above, made in 1970. My next post will contain some comments regarding Accatone.

My cinema is an explosion of my love for reality.

I've never wanted to make a conclusive statement. I've always posed various problems and left them open for consideration.

The moment that Marxism is action and revolution, it ceases to be rational. The moment a Marxist goes into action, purely revolutionary sentiments exist which contain a religious nature.

My condemnation of Russian communism dates back to 1957.

I have a tendency to always see something sacred and mythical, an epic quality, even in the most humdrum, simple and banal objects and events.

I had love for my father...until the age of 3. I'm against the family. It's an archaic remnant. My father represented the worst element I can imagine. It's difficult to talk about my relationships with my family. All I can say is I had a great love for my mother.

Oedipus Rex is an autobiography. I've lived the Oedipus complex in a kind of laboratory fashion, in an almost elementary and schematic way.

Pasolini's statements are certainly to be taken seriously to heart, but he wrote and said a great deal, and just a few aphorisms don't sum the man up. He in fact represents many cinemas. Accatone is one, Mamma Roma another, Il vangelo secondo Matteo another, Teorema another, the Decameron and Flowers of the 1001 Nights yet another. And the Greek things speak no doubt to his deep conflicts over his mother and father. The stories, from the Italian and Arabic and Middle English, represent an explosion of his love for. . . physicality, for youth, for sex, for nature. "Reality" is a colder entity.

I wonder: to what extent did Pasolini do his work because of his life experiences, and to what extent did he produce it in spite of them? There is much we have to study to appreciate his work: his life, his time, his culture, his language, and his literary and cinematic sources. But at the same time, his films speak for themselves.

Maybe the best of your quotations, applicable to more of his films than any of the others, is this one:

I have a tendency to always see something sacred and mythical, an epic quality, even in the most humdrum, simple and banal objects and events.

For some, Salo is Pasolini's most significant film.

Each of us finds something different to love and be awed by in his work.

(P.s. I envy you your ability to get hold of such a variety of arcane items, apparentlly without having to buy them. )

Pimp

Accatone, Pier Paolo Pasolini's debut feature, is the first of a trilogy of films (with Mamma Roma and the short La Ricotta) that attempt to portray the harsh realities of the Roman slums. Pasolini's "borgate" trilogy. Himself a product of the middle class, he was particularly interested in the lives of slum dwellers whose miserable existence had seen no benefit from the so-called "economic miracle". Pasolini seems both to denounce the living conditions in the slums while celebrating the radical otherness of the "borgate", in contrast to the consumerist capitalism replacing traditional values in other sectors of society. The protagonist, for instance, actually prefers to be called "accatone" (slang for "pimp") rather than Vittorio. Also, he and his buddies ridicule those working for meager wages. They see their outsider status as a badge of honor. It can be argued that to some extent Pasolini romanticizes the poor and, in later films, the peasant class.

Originally posted by Johann
    Accatone (1961) is influenced heavily by Mizoguchi, Rossellini and Dreyer.

Warning: spoiler below.
    Johann explains the Dreyer connection in his comments. The Rossellini influence is obvious in Pasolini's preference for on-location shooting and use of non-professional actors. But Mizoguchi? The quote above in which Pasolini discusses his tendency to find something mythical within banal objects and events helped me understand Johann's statement. Both Pasolini and Mizoguchi use frequent juxtapositions of banal and mythical or sacred elements. In the case of Pasolini, these sacred elements are inherently Christian.
    Two brief examples: the use of Bach's "St. Matthew's Passion" during the street brawl scene between Accatone and his (ex?)brother-in-law; and the final scene with the protagonist dying between two thieves: a borgate Christ.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-15-2004 at 03:13 AM.

A useful passage for those of us who may wonder what "borgate" means, among other things:

Great Directors -- a Critical Database

PIER PAOLO PASOLINI by Gino Moliterno
    http://www.sensesofcinema.com/conten.../pasolini.html

Born in Bologna in 1922, the year that Fascism came to power, Pasolini spent his early years in various small towns of Northern Italy as the family followed the father, an infantry officer with fascist leanings, in his military postings. Pasolini's sympathies, however, would always remain with his mother, a schoolteacher who cultivated a love of poetry and who transmitted this devotion to her son. In the mid-1930s the family returned to Bologna where Pasolini finished his schooling and enrolled in the University. During this time he also spent long periods in his mother's native Northern region of Casarsa, falling in love with its peasant culture and beginning to write poetry in its distinctive dialect. At Bologna University he majored in literature but also studied art history with the renowned art-historian Roberto Longhi, an experience that would later profoundly influence the visual style of his earlier films. At the end of the war, which had claimed the life of his younger brother, Pasolini and his mother settled at Casarsa where he worked as a schoolteacher while also being active in cultural-literary circles and becoming secretary of the local branch of the PCI (the Italian Communist Party). In 1949, however, he was accused of homosexual activity with students and immediately suspended from his teaching and expelled from the Party. Profoundly disillusioned, he moved to Rome with his mother and settled in one of the borgate or shanty-towns at the margins of the city. Here, while eking out a living from a variety of odd jobs, he became fascinated with the sub-proletarian and petty-criminal life going on around him, and began to write about it. However, Ragazzi di vita, his first full-length novel dealing with the world of the borgate, published in 1955, saw him officially charged with offences to public decency. He was eventually exonerated, in part due to the strong support of many of the leading intellectuals and writers, but this would be only the first of many times that Pasolini and his “scandalous” work would be subjected to official censure and harassment. In fact, from this point until his brutal murder in 1975, Pasolini would continue to play the role of Italy's most notorious intellectual provocateur (intellettuale scomodo), with his books, films and ideas consistently generating controversy and with Pasolini himself often ending up in court. On the positive side, however, his graphic depiction of the Roman underworld brought an increasing number of offers of scriptwriting from established Italian directors like Mauro Bolognini and Federico Fellini so that Pasolini's move to cinema became almost a foregone conclusion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gino Moliterno is Convenor of Film Studies at the Australian National University (Canberra). He is also General Editor of the Routledge Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture.

GARZANTI LINGUISTICA GIVES:
    borgata s.f.
    1 village
    2 (di Roma) working-class suburb.

celebrating the radical otherness of the "brocate",
    I assume "brocate" is a misprint for "borgate"? Otherwise there's another special term to explain. -- Chris

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    I assume "brocate" is a misprint for "borgate"?

Yes, it is. I used the term "borgate", the plural form of "borgata" (slum), three times. I misspelled it the second time. Thanks for paying attention. I will edit the post to correct this misspelling. I assumed the meaning of the term would be self-explanatory when I wrote: ...a trilogy of films that attempt to portray the harsh realities of the Roman slums. Pasolini's "borgate" trilogy.

Please forgive my intrusion but I went to the "Sense of Cinema" site and read the passage on Pasolini. I found it a facinating addition to what I have learned here, thanks Kris, Johann, and Oscar for a well researched and profound series of postings.

Note: the list of "great directors" is missing John Ford, who is ironically featured as an iconographic image on its main page. Hitch is also missing. It only proves the theory that Woody Allen is a much better director. He made the list.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

I'm happy people are taking a look at Pasolini's films.

I'll comment more tomorrow- I'm busy at the moment and haven't been able to get to a computer in a couple days. I'm seeing La Dolce Vita and I Vitelloni at the PC- 2 classics by Fellini.
    The big screen!!

I may post my thoughts on this thread as opposed to "the maestro" or "classic film" because they both pertain to Pasolini. (Vitelloni was just completed when he met Fellini and he wrote dialogue for Vita).

I'm sorry my thread isn't complete- there are films missing and there is TONS of info missing. My aim is to just give a broad, not-to-deep look at these directors. Read Siciliano's book! It's a great read, and like I say it's crammed with all the info you need on Paso.

Thanks Chris, Oscar and Cinemabon for your interest. This director is one of a kind....

Chris- The Roman Poems book I have is a Pleiade limited edition that I got at Sophia's Books here in Vancouver in 2002. If it was published in 1988 I didn't know about it. (Ferlinghetti does not translate my book, although he's a great choice- I always suspected Mr. Coney Island to be of the "alternate lifestyle").
    I'm really glad you have a copy though. Pasolini is a great poet. Just great.

It is indeed a shame that the Italians scorned his films. (Or should I say didn't trumpet them) He was a great son of Italy, and I say build a statue!

Re: his murder. I've heard the story of his assassination, but who really knows...it's very possible. The guy was a political firestorm.

You mention his politics, and again, if I included all the details of his political adventures it would be a whole other thread, and a very long one. The politics help out big-time in deciphering his films, but it's not essential.
    He took to filmmaking like a duck to water. Read Siciliano's book for the story of his first day shooting Accatone. He wanted to impress Fellini so much...
    The use of Bach's music in Accatone is important, and another reason why that film is a classic. With all those influences, Fellini backing you, classical music, how can you go wrong?

Chris- you mention Genet. Along with Cocteau you have three of the most important gay filmmakers of all-time. It's a damn shame Genet didn't get behind the cameras any more than Un Chant D'Amour (1950). He would have been just as legendary as Paso & Cocteau. No doubt in my mind. 3 giants.

Lastly, Davoli is another frequent "player" in Paso's world. Your description of him is perfect.

A Pleiade edition sounds very classy. The City Lights paperback is nice, it's bilingual, and it doesn't cost much. I don't know which way Ferlinghetti swings, I just know his lines about the Dog,

the dog trots freely in the street
    and has his own dog’s life to live
    and to think about
    and to reflect upon
    touching and tasting and testing everything
    investigating everything
    without benefit of perjury
    a real realist
    with a real tale to tell
    and a real tail to tell it with
    a real live
    barking democratic dog
    engaged in real free enterprise
    with something to say
    about reality
    and how to see it
    and how to hear it
    with his head cocked sideways
    at streetcorners
    as if he is just about to have
    his picture taken
    for Victor Records
    listening for
    His Master’s Voice
    and looking
    like a living questionmark
    into the
    great gramophone
    of puzzling existence
    with its wondrous hollow horn
    which always seems
    just about to spout forth
    some Victorious answer
    to everything

Comizi d'amore (1965)

One's interest in this film is directly related to one's level of curiosity regarding Italians' views on a variety of sexual issues circa 1964, when Pasolini conducted these interviews. He travels throughout Italy interviewing Italians of all socio-economic levels. Most of the interviews are conducted informally in public places.

Pasolini starts by asking a group of children how babies are born. He gauges opinions on the importance of sexuality, the nature of homosexuality, the necessity of divorce and prostitution, the desirability of equal rights for men and women, abortion, etc. There is brief commentary by writers and intellectuals such as Alberto Moravia. They take note of how many refuse to answer questions or simply lack the proper words to express opinions regarding sex. Periodically, the sound goes mute and the word "autocensura"(self-censorship) appears on-screen, but no rationale is given. Several respondents contrast Italians' views with the more "progressive" views in other countries, such as Germany and the U.S.

A visitor to Italy nowadays is likely to notice how Rome constitutes a divide between the rich, modern Northern region and the less afluent, more traditional South. It's clear watching Comizi d'amore that these differences were much more apparent and profound forty years ago. It feels at times as if Pasolini is visiting two entirely different countries.

The world belongs to those with teeth

I rented the International Film Forum vhs of Accatone to refresh my memory.

It's definitely a portrait of Italy's street life. For a first feature the camerawork and editing are very good. I forgot about the women-Pasolini's women are always beautiful. Especially Silvana Corsini & Franca Pascut (Maddelena & Stella). Overall the film has a quiet pace, with actors breaking into song or whistling, while we are frequently serenaded by Bach.

The scenes where the police round up the usual suspects after Maddelena is beaten up by the guys who "come to serenade" her are great- great use of close-ups and pans. Then you have a slow zoom on Accatone- did Kubrick take note of this trick?

Accatone is not a character I have a lot of sympathy for- he's a creep for sure, telling Maddy he'll break her other leg if she doesn't go out and work her beat- and even though he's trying to "make good" his actions are not excusable.

Was Pasolini trying to make him a sympathetic character? I think so. The film opens with this quote from Dante's Purgatorio:
    "The Angel of God took me and Satan cried out, "why do you rob me?"
    You take for yourself the eternal part of him for one little tear which takes him from me"

What does that refer to in the film? Accatone's failed life? His "fall from grace" into thievery? Is Paso trying to tell us he's a former evil-doer who is now in God's company? Yes.

Tonino delli Colli is a competent cameraman- his pans are really good, but I have complaint with the lighting. I couldn't read the subtitles very well on this tape. Oscar- are the subs on the DVD easy to read? Some scenes were too bright or too dark. But it doesn't take anything away from Paso's "borgate" tale.

Still a classic, Accatone is a must-see if you care about cinema history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast