Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best of 2004 - A Future Look

I'll be seeing Garden State tomorrow, so I'll have something to say, I'm sure.

As for Sofia, I haven't really noticed anything great about her. I don't feel like giving her time to develop as I really haven't even noticed any talent at all. The only thing keeping me sitting through Lost in Translation was Bill Murray.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Originally posted by arsaib4
    one might say, well, why dump on Zach Braff or Sofia Coppola as they are very young filmmakers, give them time to develop.
    That is a good point, and I am overly hard on the young American filmmakers. I think it stems from what I see as artistic shortcomings despite all of the resources. If you look at some of the better Chinese / Thai / European directors of the same age, they are working way outside the budgetary range of the "young american filmschool" and making better stuff.

I agree with development though. Out of 10 directors, a handful will emmerge and make better films than their previous work. It would be exciting to see work that I liked by Coppola, P.T. Anderson, Braff ...

I also believe in the creativity of the American mind. I mean, The Coens, Linklater, Payne, W. Anderson all make films that I connect with, so I'm being picky when I go after some of the others...

P

Good dialogue going. Hopefully, they're not making these films with the main goal of being "Sunday Times media darlings", I don't think that's your accusation here. Perhaps they simply need to focus more on being creative in the script process and really trying to do something new. It's not enough to simply reference the films that have come before, it's becomes creative and clever when they expand on that and make something fresh and new. As far as the two recent American filmmakers you've mentioned, they're probably farther along in the appearance area of the film than in the subject matter area, if I'm hearing you correctly.

I went to see "Garden State" yesterday, and I couldn't sit through the whole thing. I can't remember the last time I left a movie before it ended. Every character and scene was "quirky", so much so that it completely ruined the chance of the film suceeding on any other level. It seemed that every scene designed to stand out as clever was out of place with what was going on in the film. You could see the script process before you as a bunch of cute ideas that somehow had to congeal to form a storyline. It didn't work very well. The reason I left, specifically, was that Natalie Portman's character said she was epileptic, and I just knew that she was going to have a seizure at some inoportune moment later in the film. This would be a landmark moment in the film in which Zach Braff's character would have a revelation. This was too much for me to bear, I had to leave. To anyone who's seen the whole film, is this what happened? I'm mildly curious, actually. I'd be really surprised if the film turns out different; the whole thing was predictable (and slow) from the start. Enough on that.

I differentiate "Lost in Translation" from this film in that Coppola didn't try to take on so much with her subject matter. Braff's film is about the search for meaning for 20 somethings, so beware his attempts at big, meaningful moments. "Lost in Translation", on the other hand, is simply a story of a couple of lonely strangers sharing friendship (and possibly a little more) over a period of a few days. It's a sweet, delicate story told with a light touch.

The troubling thing to me is also how quickly films like 'Garden State' and 'Lost in Translation' get mentioned in the same sentence as 'The Graduate' or 'Harold and Maude' or 'In the Mood for love.' Such praise or such publicity can only hurt a filmmaker in the future.

Allright, trailer's out for Wes Anderson's "Life Aquatic", scheduled for Dec. '04 release. Here's a link:

http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/2..._aquatic.shtml

Looks similar in style to "Royal Tenenbaums". Here's hoping the story can keep up with the visuals and the overall eccentricity.

Garden State was great. My fav of the year so far, but there's still much to come.

It was really one of those "Fuck yeah!" movies which made you want to do something with your life, similar to a lot of Linklater's stuff.

While many characters were unrealistic, Braff seemed to direct everyone in a way that made them seem real even though they really weren't.

To boot, Peter Sarsgaard really pulled in another great performance.

All right, I've planted my base. Now I'm ready to debate.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

I sort of got the feeling from the orginal post a few days ago that this was about the best films of 2004... what it has become is rather confusing.

I was looking over the original list... Day After Tomorrow? Stepford Wives? as the best of 2004? Aren't these rather mundane commercial offerings at best? Even Spiderman 2 is rather superficial, although for it's genre, I would say it was one of the best films yet. As to some of the other choices, Passion of the Christ may have hit it big with right wing WASPs, but the buzz in Hollywood is very resentful. At the most, it will get some technical awards. I doubt it will get more than that. Gibson has alienated himself with the Jewish community, which is very powerful in Hollywood, a big mistake, just ask Jesse Jackson (remember "Hymie Town?")

There are some big films coming up that look quite impressive this fall and winter. As usual, the big guns will be shot in November and December. Phantom of the Opera, Ray, The Aviator, Ladder 49, Silver City, A Sound of Thunder, DiG!, Kinsey, and many more have yet to open. Sky Captain is a highly stylized film that fits right into your penchant for sci-fi fantasy (filmmed entirely in front of blue screen).

When the gloves come off this fall, then we can begin that list in earnest. I believe the only retro-film the Academy will look back on will be Kill Bill, No. 2, since the first one was recognized and everyone agrees the sequel is better. Even with its DVD release, Passion will be yesterday's news come next January when the Academy comes to a vote.
    Last edited by cinemabon; 08-23-2004 at 09:50 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Well, the films mentioned in the original post (tabuno) haven't been discussed because as you mentioned they are more mundane commercial offerings. Most of the thread has actually been about the state of american indies, Garden State, Sofia Coppola etc.,. I agree that 'Kill Bill Vol.2' will be one of the films academy will look back on but I certainly hope that both 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and 'Before Sunset' are not forgotten.

An Ordinary Guy

I must be a mundane commercial guy I guess. Somebody has to be. Let's here it for the average American consumer.

Subject to change

So far this year I'm pretty happy with what we've been thrown by the studios.

My top ten list of "good movies":

1. Spiderman 2
    2. Hellboy
    3. The Punisher
    4. Kill Bill vol. 2
    5. Starsky & Hutch
    6. Eurotrip
    7. Festival Express
    8. The Exorcist: The Beginning
    9. Alien Vs. Predator
    10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

the top three art films:

Dogville
    The Dreamers
    Coffee & Cigarettes

Films I wish I saw: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Spartan, Collateral, Hero, The Saddest Music in the World, and Touching the Void.

What I'm looking forward to: Alexander, The Aviator and Team America: World Police.

The most important film of the year was made by Michael Moore and the worst film of the year is a tie between White Chicks and The Whole Ten Yards.
    Last edited by Johann; 08-26-2004 at 01:53 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Other 2004 Films to Watch Out For

September 1st - Vanity Fair. Reese Witherspoon makes one of the smartest casting decisions of any young female actor this year. This lavish, elegant historical movie piece looks to be one of the surprises of the year.

September 17th - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. This movie looks to be stylish and a look back at the adventure movies of the 40s. Something different to look at.

September 24th - The Forgotten. One of the most bewildering, mysterious looking movies of the year.

October 22nd - Finding Neverland. Johnny Depp comes back with a historical drama with fantasy undertones that may capture a large audience and a winter time entertainment leading to another Oscar nomination.

November - The Aviator. Leonardo DiCaprio returns under the helm of Martin Scorsese that will see strong efforts made towards securing an Oscar nomination for this movie.

Updated Best of 2004 Films

The Bourne Supremacy, Collateral, Little Black Book, Hidalgo, The Manchurian Candidate made my list bumping some of earlier favorites down:

1. Kill Bill No. 2. This is the best movie of the year from a script, cinematography, character standpoint. A substantive and deeper as well as more edgy, emotional version than the over the top Volume No. 1 which tended towards satire of a number of genre.

2. Spartan. This is one of the best espionage movies in many years, recalling past Cold War movies with their edgy (less action oriented) more implied emotional roller coaster that depends more of acting, performance, and script handling than special effects and over the top thrills.

3. Collateral. A great performance by Tom Cruise focusing on the rarely portrayed badguy with substance. I loved the experience, dialogue, and the flavor of the movie.

4. (3.) Spiderman 2. Easily one of the best of the year because it captures both the superhero pyrotechnics along with a solid storyline and character development. A great Jaws - the Movie -renovation that combines many of the psychological elements of good film making.

5. (4.) Passion of the Christ. A stirring 24 hour intense and focussed look at one of the most famous characters of all of theater. The emotional tragedy and intensity, the sincerity of character and original language and apparent veracity-looking, sounding film is a brilliant example of movie-making.

6. The Bourne Supremacy. The new James Bond of the new century. This less special effects and fly by the seat of your pants spy thriller uses a more personal and emotional approach to the typical espionage movie. Nearly perfect in its execution - it presents the chase in its more human aspect though not as stark and raw as Spartan.

7. Little Black Book. A special tribute to romantic comedies with a great, wrenching ending. A great script that the producers or director wisely decided to go with a solid, meaningful production rather than the usual, dopey string of stupid women.

8. (5.) Against the Ropes. Meg Ryan performs one of her best roles in a difficult genre of male boxing. She achieves a underrated Demi Moore performance (as in Strip Tease) that was overlooked because of the nature of the male sport. A good look a the sport and the humanity that Ryan brought to a true story, real life character.

9. (6.) Connie and Carla. One of the more difficult performances of women acting as men acting as women. This movie captured the humorous and sensitive nature of the sexes along with a delightful David Duchovy straight man.

10. (7.) Day After Tomorrow. The biggest, explosive disaster movie of all time that almost contained a strong human story. A well balanced movie of an epic magnitude without getting lost in the special effects.

Honorable Mention.

The Terminal. A different and well acted Tom Hanks in a microcosm of a world in an air terminal. An almost independent movie feel along with a more bittersweet ending that allows the audience to focus on humanity instead of fantasy.

The Stepford Wives. A rather off-kilter horror-comedy movie (a very difficult blend) done well that brings smiles to the more mature audiences.

13 Going On 30. Jennifer Garner will puts on a delicious show.

Mean Girls. A relevant, above average coming of age movie.

50 First Dates. Drew and Adam are continuing their development as actors.

The Manchurian Candidate. A good performance by Denzel Washington along with a compelling touching script (though somewhat melodramatic).

Hidalgo. A great adventure movie without the usual over the top scenes and exploits. A tamer, but more involving entertainment of this genre.

Re: An Ordinary Guy

Originally posted by tabuno
    I must be a mundane commercial guy I guess.
    tabuno, don't be so modest, from some of the reviews and other posts that i've read, you seem to be a well reasoned and knowledgable person, more than an average film fan. I repeated the words "mundane commercial offerings" because that's what they are to me and probably to most others who haven't seen the films, it's nice that you decided to talk about some of the ones you were looking forward to the most and you've increased my curiosity.

Originally posted by HorseradishTree
    It was really one of those "Fuck yeah!" movies which made you want to do something with your life, similar to a lot of Linklater's stuff.
    Glad you liked it. Maybe, at 30, I'm too old and cynical now. (Actually, I'm the same age as Braff, so who knows). I found it sort of convenient that he was on lithium for so many years, so he was finally able to "wake up" and get on with his life. I'm leery of films where characters have epiphanies and can thus suddenly change their lives overnight. Life is more complicated than that, in my (hardened) view. Braff sort of glosses over that.

New Limited Release Films

September 10:

Reconstruction - space/time love affair?
    THX-1138 - the Director's cut

September 17:

Enduring Love - Hot balloon rescue
    The Final Cut - Robin Williams' One Hour Photo sci fi sequel version

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast