Thread: Rare Gems

Rare Gems

Seen some great films that are new to me in the last week. Thought I would pass them along. Anyone else seen these?:

1. Blissfully Yours - Apichatpong Weerasethakul. Amazing Thai film. Might have to edit my top ten list.

2. Nine Queens - Fabián Bielinsky. Came out last year, but I missed it.

3. Demonlover - Assayas. Will probably be distributed in the US??

Some capsule reviews to come.

P

I enjoyed 9 Queens. The script is very clever and topical, given the current state of the Argentine economy. Very well acted also, but that is expected in Argentinian films. 9 Queens is now available for rental y'all. The other 2 screened at NYFF, right? They have yet to open in Miami. Hope they do soon.

Actually I just saw the other two at a Film Comment Selects series at Lincoln Center. I must say, there is no place like the Walter Reade Theater for amazing film programming.

Take a look:
    Film Society of Lincoln Center

"Nomads"

One of my personal favorite movies, a movie that I consider a true "Gem" is one of Pierce Brosnan's earliest movies - Nomads made in 1986. Brosnan (in one of his earlier movies) gives what I consider one of his best, almost unrecognizable, performances of his career. Rarely mentioned on any movie thread but widely available on video, this haunting, high-road, occult-thriller is a surrealistic adventure into a strange culture that stars Lesley-Anne Down.

This serious and quality production has all the mystery but adds high tension that has a European-flavored ending that climaxes an involving, creepy-fascinating and gripping movie. Directed and written by John McTiernan [Thomas Crown Affair, The (1999) , Medicine Man (1992) , Hunt for Red October, The (1990) , Die Hard (1988) , Predator (1987) ], Nomads was McTiernan's first credited directorial debut and apparently with brilliant results.

10 out of 10

Satyricon

"They dont make films like this anymore" was a common reaction at Lincoln Center on Tuesday where Fellinis Satyricon screened as part of the "The Whole Wide World: Widescreen Cinema" series. Fellini's flipped-out epic based on Petronius' work is a bewildering accomplishment. Apparentally the audience response to this in the '70s was entirely positive from younger audiences, while older critics tore it to pieces on the grounds of perceived incoherence, immorality and general disorder. Sex, debauchery, love, death, and...of course, satire of all of these things reign sumpreme.
    P

Yeah, I saw Nine Queens. It sure wasn't bad at all. It had some real good ideas that mixed into a well made grift film.

I'd say it's a good renter, but nothing more than that.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Demonlover to show September 19 in LA and NY

Yahoo Movies announces Demonlover to be shown in Los Angeles and New York September 19th.

I envy pmw

Man, wish I could go to those Film Comment screenings.

I love the magazine put out by the Film Society. It's part of my "film education". (Although sometimes I vehemently disagree with some comments. Just like a former New Yorker critic we all know..)

Satyricon on the big screen. That would be an event. I'm waiting for the day when the Cinematheque announces a Fellini retro.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Here's what I wrote after watching it awhile back...

Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens) (2000) - *** (Out of 4)
    A good Argentinian movie about con men. I've always been partial to good movies about con men and while this doesn't rank with the greats like The Sting or The Hustler, it's entertaining and not quite as predictable as most that are made these days. Though having seen quite a few and being a fan of the genre, I had a pretty good idea of the rough ending fairly early on. It's entertaining and keeps you interested regardless of when you start to figure it out.

The American remake of The Nine Queens, named Criminal, stars John C. Reilly, Diego Luna, and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Expect it to be out pretty soon.Unfortunately, because I've seen the original, I'm afraid I won't enjoy this one as much.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave