Thread: THE KING (Eugene Jaarecki 2018)

Threaded View

Thanks. Then you should see this one from Eugene Jarecki. He has a lot to say.

Have you watched any big current movies, like Jurassic World, Incredibles 2, Solo, Deadpool 2, Avengers? Last week I enjoyed Superfly and Upgrade. Incredibles 2, which I did see, is appealing and beautiful to look at but I don't think it has the sophistication of the original.. We are awash in remakes. It's summer. That's why, I am glad to be screening films of the NYAFF.

Incredibles 2, Brad Bird’s sequel to his 2004 superhero adventure The Incredibles, is a case in point: Bird describes it as "just a popcorn film," a fun action movie without elaborate themes or painful feelings.-The Verge
    Other item coming in July, a French film: Gauguin: Voyage to Tahiti (Edouard Deluc, starring Vincent Cassel). A film of only average quality according to French reviews (AlooCiné press rating 3.0) but someone said it was Cassel's best performance.

Still from Gauguin - Voyage de Tahiti : Photo Tuheï Adams

Was Guaguin an "orientalist" and a #MeTo bad guy? maybe but when I saw the "Icons of Modern Art: The Shchukin Collection exhibit at the Fondation Louis Vuitton two years ago I realized how uniquely beautiful his colors are.

Paul Gauguin, Le Gué, 1901, oil on canvas.PUSHKIN STATE MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, MOSCOW

Click on this for an article in Art News about that show.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-22-2018 at 06:17 PM.