Thread: Quick previews: Baumbach's MARRIAGE STORY and Sachs' FRANKIE

Threaded View

Baumbach is uneven but important, and he works in a sophisticated vein somewhat like a French director while yet remaining, of course, totally American and New York and Jewish. See my review of Mistress America for thoughts on that one and on him and on his star and muse, Greta Gerwig. We'll see how the new one featured at the NYFF holds up, but Marriage Story seemed to me one of his strongest efforts, and different from any of his other movies, more challenging to him and us than Mistress America. My full review of Marriage Story will appear here when it's shown in the festival next Friday, Oct. 4, 2019.

I'll also be publishing a review of Almodóvar's new film, Pain and Glory/Dolor y gloria, later today: it's being shown in the NYFF today and tomorrow.

Martin Scorsese's The Irishman, this year's NYFF Opening Night film, which showed last night, is showing ten times, Dargis notes, at the festival. But I will leave that to review later. It has a current Metascore of 92. It's 3 1/2 hours long - asking rather a lot of a opening night audience. (But then look at opera. And I guess it is a kind of opera.)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 09-28-2019 at 06:55 AM.