Thread: The Longest Post On Filmwurld

Hybrid View

They are great, I enjoyed them a lot and have just rewatched BURNING at home with a lot of pleasure. I don't know the details of their post-theatrical release, I hope people will watch for them however they can see them. By "available streaming" do you mean like on Netflix or HBO or something like that?
    Unfortunately I could not finish watching MUDBOUND, it seemed too deterministic to me and bothered me too much - to watch at home. Had I gone to see it in a theater of course I'd have stayed to the end. It's harder to finish films at home, sometimes.
    I see you are right, Rachel Morrison is the first female ever nominated for the Best Cinematography Oscar. That is surprising. There are a number of good ones. Agnès Godard for Claire Denis comes to mind.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-13-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    I see you are right, Rachel Morrison is the first female ever nominated for the Best Cinematography Oscar. That is surprising. There are a number of good ones. Agnès Godard for Claire Denis comes to mind.
    Agnès Godard for Claire Denis are awesome; good of you to bring them up. I posted on your 45 YEARS (2015) thread. It's been added to my list of 346 Favorite Films that opens this thread.

Maybe Agnès Godard is the most known, but there are a dozen more, as you'll see if you Google "women cinematographers." I wonder what awards they have won, apparently plenty also.

Shame no one will ever see who won the "Best Cinematography" award as the Academy decided this year NOT to show the award until after its given during the commercial break. I mean, WTF! Where do they rate photography? Obviously, less than the other categories. They chunked editing out the window as well. All I can do is wonder how they think a film is made without photography and editing. Let's just eliminate all of the awards and just give out the most popular - acting and best picture. No one else cares about the rest, including best director. What's their role anyway? Who needs a director?
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Those prizes don't seem to be highlighted at Canes either. In fact I don't think they even have prizes for cinematography and editing.

The Academy is degrading cinema for the sake of ratings. They know that, in this art form, a performance is to a great extent the result of how a camera captures it and which takes are included and how they are sequenced. But they don't give a crap. The people who shoot and edit the films are not "stars". They have a moment of recognition and it's being taken away. Filthy lucre!

They were, maybe, but there was a backlash, and three days ago they announced they'd reversed the decision to announce those Oscars during commercial breaks. See https://movieweb.com/oscars-academy-...ounce-winners/
    The Motion Picture Academy officially reversed their plans to have four Oscars given out during commercial breaks late Friday. The categories in question were for Cinematography, Editing, Make-Up & Hairstyling, and Live Action Short. The first three categories brought out the heavyweights, such as Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Guillermo Del Toro and many others, who declared that while all other categories were expendable, no one has ever made a movie without a camera or editing. The Hair and Make-Up crowd aired their grievances too. No one really stood up for the Live Action short, but that may only be because that category has come under much backlash itself, with Detainment, a short about the murder of a 2 year old boy, causing much controversy as the parents of the dead child demanded it be removed from the race. It wasn't.
    - B. ALAN ORANGE— February 16th, 2019in TV NEWS. ["MovieWeb"]
    I'll put this elsewhere on Filmleaf with the awards and Oscar nominee topics.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.