To look at a person's top ten films reveals a lot about that person. First of all, their age. If a person lists a film like Gone With The Wind, you can probably assume that person is older. If a person lists Gladiator, it is probably a younger person. Like wise, if all the films are of a horror genre. You can believe that person likes little else. I've noticed that people who list a wide variety and base that on films they've actually watched, and not just read about, are the "true" film enthusiast, who is also probably college educated and probably also studied film either as a major or an elective. What absolute slays me, is having someone list some really great movies and then have Blazing Saddles or Airplane on the list. While these are really funny films, they look absurd next to movies like Third Man or Schindler's List.

Most film enthusiasts have lists that are miles long. To narrow them down to ten is almost rediculous. I have ten films in each genre practically that need mentioning, let alone a general catagory called Best of all time. Foreign films alone constitute some of the finest movies ever made and are the most over looked, like Kurosowa. I'm sure we all have IMDB.COM in our databases. And trilogies don't count! Each film has it's own merit.

Well, if I must...

1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Gone With The Wind (I had to)
4. Cries and Whispers
5. The Seven Samuri
6. Schindler's List
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Vertigo
9. Ben Hur
10. ... you'll just have to guess who I would have named for number ten...

Titanic? Fellowship of the Ring? Star Wars-A New Hope? 8 1/2? the list grows longer every day, my friends. Just look at the hundreds of films I am leaving out. I'm ashamed to even make a list, there are so many I love that are missing from it.